Fun4business’ preferred website content management system is WordPress — an open-source website content management tool developed and maintained by designers and coders around the world. WordPress websites monopolize websites worldwide: Manage WP reports in this article dated April 28, 2016, that WordPress powers ~26% of the web, and claims ownership to nearly 60% of website powered by CMS (content management systems).
Online security is a major consideration in any online endeavour. Or, if not, it should be! As such, the best way to keep your WordPress website safe from attacks and exploitation is to ensure it is regularly updated.
From our experience, approximately 90% of WordPress updates go perfectly fine and make the argument for enabling auto-updates. However, it’s that last 10% of updates that sometimes are a problem. Some of the problems we’ve run into when performing manual updates include:
- Theme update issues. Sometimes the theme updates make changes to the design, navigation or other elements of the theme and they have to be manually tested, modified and checked. We’ve personally run into issues where a theme utilizes multiple navigation locations and during the update, the locations get confused and have to be reset. This can be startling when making the update, seeing the navigation is broken, and then having to troubleshoot to return it to working order.
- Plugin incompatibility. One day your plugin plays nice with others, and the next day (after an update) you catch it hitting other kids on the playground. At Fun4business, we carefully read all of the plugin update documentation, notices and recommendations before applying the update. If it doesn’t function properly or causes incompatibilities, we can quickly restore the backup of the plugin and proceed after additional assessment and consulting the client.
- Major updates. Major updates – that come with a specific warning and disclaimer – should be applied within a proper procedure of manually backing up the entire website and database and then updated. And yes, it only took one experience for us as developers to have applied a major update without these provisions, completely blowing up the site due to unknown development customizations by a previous design company, and incurring additional cost through the web host to restore the website from a backup. Let us help you learn from our mistakes!
As a WordPress website owner, your choices on proceeding with updates include:
- Auto-applying the updates. You can set your website to automatically install your WordPress updates and send you an email when done. This is a viable option for small websites with limited customizations. You need to weigh the risk and cost between not having your website up to date and the possibility of your site becoming corrupted if an update is applied and ends up breaking your website.
- Signing up for one of the Fun4business manual backup and update packages listed below to ensure your website is safe, protected and secure and that all updates go smoothly.
2017 WordPress Update Packages
On-demand Update $40
Monthly Updating $405/year (12 updates with a 10% discount)
Bi-monthly Updating $216/year (6 updates with a 10% discount)
Other Security Considerations
Other key tips on securing your WordPress website:
- Limit login attempts. We suggest limiting login attempts to a maximum of 5 and preferably 3. If you would like this option, inquire within as to adding this functionality to your website.
- Be creative with your WordPress username, because the username “admin” is the most popular word used in fake login attempts.
- Choose a highly-secure password. Again, don’t make things easy for hackers to enter your website just because you are too lazy to manage a sophisticated and complex password!
- Customize the WordPress login page address. Right now WordPress defaults the login page address to “wp-admin” or “wp-login” leading hackers directly to the front door of the back-end of your website. With just a little effort, you can discourage ill-intentioned people from pursuing your website.
Thank you for considering Fun4business for your WordPress website needs. Contact us for more information regarding maintaining and updating your WordPress website.